With the proper sunscreen and sun-safety techniques, you can lessen the damage of the suns UV rays and still thoroughly enjoy a day on the water.
5 Sunscreen Tips for Boaters
- Apply sunscreen to any exposed skin.
- Remember to reapply every two hours, following a swim or when sweating excessively because protection will diminish over time.
- As for sprays versus lotions versus rub-on sticks, choose the option that works best for you and will encourage you to reapply as directed.
- Don’t forget often-neglected spots such as your lips, the part in your hair, tops of the ears and feet, and backs of the legs. Sunscreen sprays often work best for those with thinning hair. Choose a lip balm with at least SPF 15.
- For best results, plan your initial sunscreen application for 15 to 30 minutes before you go out into the sun to allow the sunscreen to properly absorb into the skin. Shoot for a portion that could fill a shot glass to cover the average adult body.