Make A Difference
Ways we can use plastic more judiciously and better dispose of it:
- Purchase products that use less plastic in packaging. Select glass or paper. Buy in bulk. Look for items that can be reused. Steer clear of disposable items that will end up as trash.
- Minimize your use of single-use disposable products, particularly plastic bottles and bags. Carry a reusable drinking container, drink tap water, decline straws. Use durable fabric shopping bags instead of plastic bags.
- Instead of buying sparkling water, club soda, tonic, and colas in individual plastic bottles — and discarding hundreds of plastic bottles a year per household — use a CO2 infuser, such as SodaStream (about $75), which will save money and makes excellent sparkling drinks from clean water.
- Pick up a piece of plastic on your way home from your boat and toss in a recycling bin.
- Cut the rings of plastic sixpack holders, which lowers the chances of entanglement with marine animals.