SUMMER BOATING BASICS
Okay, so now that Summer is here, and the holiday weekend is rapidly approaching, the waters tend to get busy so let’s remember some basics of having a safe summer boating season.
Below are some quick tips on boating responsibly in the great outdoors.
Travel responsibly on designated waterways and launch your watercraft in designated areas.
- Travel only in areas open to your type of boat.
- Carry a Coast Guard approved life vest (PFD) for each person on board.
- Always operate your boat at a safe speed.
- Always have a designated lookout to keep an eye out for other boaters, objects and swimmers.
- Never jump a wake. If crossing a wake, cross at low speeds and keep a close lookout for skiers and towables.
- Comply with all signs and respect barriers. This includes speed limits, no-wake zones and underwater obstructions, etc.
- Make every effort to always go boating with a partner.
- Make certain your trailer is in proper working order and that your lights work and your boat is secure on the trailer before you travel to your destination.
- When trailering your boat, balance your load including items stowed inside your boat.
- Don’t mix boating with alcohol or drugs.